In class I have often used the analogy that learning Tai Chi is very like learning to play a musical instrument , or golf or indeed probably many other things.
We all go through similar stages a bit like these:
1. Like it/attracted to it
2. Start and find it confusing but see the possibilities
3. Practice – find some things come clearer, but more things even more confusing
4. A measure of capability, becoming aware of how much there is to go
5. Start to feel the body, movement, music, rhythm etc.
6. Understanding starts to dawn
7. Relaxed capability in some areas
8. Further exploration
9. Comfort with own ability, respect for that of others and for beginners. Developing the feeling of the movement.